Real-time facial landmark detection with OpenCV, Python, and dlib

Over the past few weeks we have been discussing facial landmarks and the role they play in computer vision and image processing.

We’ve started off by learning how to detect facial landmarks in an image.

We then discovered how to label and annotate each of the facial regions, such as eyes, eyebrows, nose, mouth, and jawline.

Today we are going to expand our implementation of facial landmarks to work in real-time video streams, paving the way for more real-world applications, including next week’s tutorial on blink detection.

To learn how to detect facial landmarks in video streams in real-time, just keep reading.

Real-time facial landmark detection with OpenCV, Python, and dlib

The first part of this blog post will provide an implementation of real-time facial landmark detection for usage in video streams utilizing Python, OpenCV, and dlib.

We’ll then test our implementation and use it to detect facial landmarks in videos.

Facial landmarks in video streams

Let’s go ahead and get this facial landmark example started.

Open up a new file, name it video_facial_landmarks.py , and insert the following code:

Lines 2-9 import our required Python packages.

We’ll be using the face_utils  sub-module of imutils, so if you haven’t installed/upgraded to the latest version, take a second and do so now:

Note: If you are using Python virtual environments, take care to ensure you are installing/upgrading imutils  in your proper environment.

We’ll also be using the VideoStream  implementation inside of imutils , allowing you to access your webcam/USB camera/Raspberry Pi camera module in a more efficientfaster, treaded manner. You can read more about the VideoStream  class and how it accomplishes a higher frame throughout in this blog post.

If you would like to instead work with video files rather than video streams, be sure to reference this blog post on efficient frame polling from a pre-recorded video file, replacing VideoStream  with FileVideoStream .

For our facial landmark implementation we’ll be using the dlib library. You can learn how to install dlib on your system in this tutorial (if you haven’t done so already).

Next, let’s parse our command line arguments:

Our script requires one command line argument, followed by a second optional one, each detailed below:

• --shape-predictor : The path to dlib’s pre-trained facial landmark detector. Use the “Downloads” section of this blog post to download an archive of the code + facial landmark predictor file.
  • --picamera : An optional command line argument, this switch indicates whether the Raspberry Pi camera module should be used instead of the default webcam/USB camera. Supply a value > 0 to use your Raspberry Pi camera.

Now that our command line arguments have been parsed, we need to initialize dlib’s HOG + Linear SVM-based face detector and then load the facial landmark predictor from disk:

The next code block simply handles initializing our VideoStream  and allowing the camera sensor to warm up:

The heart of our video processing pipeline can be found inside the while  loop below:

On Line 31 we start an infinite loop that we can only break out of if we decide to exit the script by pressing the q  key on our keyboard.

Line 35 grabs the next frame from our video stream.

We then preprocess this frame by resizing it to have a width of 400 pixels and convert it to grayscale (Lines 36 an 37).

Before we can detect facial landmarks in our frame, we first need to localize the face — this is accomplished on Line 40 via the detector  which returns the bounding box (x, y)-coordinates for each face in the image.

Now that we have detected the faces in the video stream, the next step is to apply the facial landmark predictor to each face ROI:

On Line 43 we loop over each of the detected faces.

Line 47 applies the facial landmark detector to the face region, returning a shape  object which we convert to a NumPy array (Line 48).

Lines 52 and 53 then draw a series of circles on the output frame , visualizing each of the facial landmarks. To understand what facial region (i.e., nose, eyes, mouth, etc.) each (x, y)-coordinate maps to, please refer to this blog post.

Lines 56 and 57 display the output frame  to our screen. If the q  key is pressed, we break from the loop and stop the script (Lines 60 and 61).

Finally, Lines 64 and 65 do a bit of cleanup:

As you can see, there are very little differences between detecting facial landmarks in images versus detecting facial landmarks in video streams — the main differences in the code simply involve setting up our video stream pointers and then polling the stream for frames.

The actual process of detecting facial landmarks is the same, only instead of detecting facial landmarks in a single image we are now detecting facial landmarks in a series of frames.

Real-time facial landmark results

To test our real-time facial landmark detector using OpenCV, Python, and dlib, make sure you use the “Downloads” section of this blog post to download an archive of the code, project structure, and facial landmark predictor model.

If you are using a standard webcam/USB camera, you can execute the following command to start the video facial landmark predictor:

Otherwise, if you are on your Raspberry Pi, make sure you append the --picamera 1  switch to the command:

Here is a short GIF of the output where you can see that facial landmarks have been successfully detected on my face in real-time:

Figure 1: A short demo of real-time facial landmark detection with OpenCV, Python, an dlib.

I have included a full video output below as well:

Summary

In today’s blog post we extended our previous tutorials on facial landmarks and applied them to the task of real-time detection.

As our results demonstrated, we are fully capable of detecting facial landmarks in a video stream in real-time using a system with a modest CPU.

Now that we understand how to access a video stream and apply facial landmark detection, we can move on to next week’s real-world computer vision application — blink detection.

To be notified when the blink detection tutorial goes live, be sure to enter your email address in the form below — this is a tutorial you won’t want to miss!

If you would like to download the code and images used in this post, please enter your email address in the form below. Not only will you get a .zip of the code, I’ll also send you a FREE 11-page Resource Guide on Computer Vision and Image Search Engines, including exclusive techniques that I don’t post on this blog! Sound good? If so, enter your email address and I’ll send you the code immediately!

, , , , , , ,

48 Responses to Real-time facial landmark detection with OpenCV, Python, and dlib

1. tony April 17, 2017 at 12:03 pm #

Thanks for this tutorial . how the face landmarks can be more stable , I tried the tutorial and the points are shaky

2. Mansoor Nasir April 17, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

Great work Adrian, my only question is will it work with multiple faces? And will it affect the performance or accuracy?

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

I would suggest going back and reading my previous posts facial landmarks. This method will work with multiple faces provided that each face in the image/video stream can be detected.

3. Shravan Kumar Parunandula April 17, 2017 at 1:05 pm #

Awaiting for this, thank you so much.

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:57 pm #

Thank you Shravan! 🙂

4. Linus April 17, 2017 at 1:40 pm #

This one is freaking awesome! Will definitively try it out and install dlib. Thanks Adrian for this row of posts! 🙂

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:55 pm #

Thanks Linus — it only gets better from here 🙂

5. Muhammad April 17, 2017 at 2:34 pm #

Beautiful! Thanks a lot!

6. Levi Blaney April 17, 2017 at 9:02 pm #

Hey this is really great stuff. I can’t wait to try it out. I want to use it for my magic mirror to tell who is standing in front of it. I’m sure I could Google a algorithm up but could you do a blog post on how to some what reliably detect the same person over and over again.

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:53 pm #

I wouldn’t recommend using facial landmarks for facial recognition. Algorithms such as LBPs for face recognition, Eigenfaces, and Fisherfaces would work well for a magic mirror application. I cover LBPs for face recognition and Eigenfaces inside the PyImageSearch Gurus course.

• tbanda April 27, 2017 at 10:33 am #

Hello Adrian…
        what if i use dlib only for face identification because haarcascades do not identify flipped faces and from there i use LBP for face recognition?

• Adrian Rosebrock April 28, 2017 at 9:29 am #

As I mentioned, facial landmarks are not used for face identification. You can use either Haar cascades or the dlib built-in factor detector to detect horizontally flipped faces. To detect vertically flipped faces, simply flip your image prior to passing them into the detector.

7. Joe April 17, 2017 at 9:53 pm #

This is awesome! Thanks for another great blog Adrian….keep it up!

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:51 pm #

Thanks Joe! 🙂

8. kunal April 18, 2017 at 3:59 am #

Really impressed by the way you have done with this coding of real-time facial landmark detection for usage in video streams utilizing Python. Splendid!

9. Linus April 18, 2017 at 1:59 pm #

And I can’t understand why you import datetime? Is this just from development?

And the whole thing worked out just fine BTW 😀

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:48 pm #

The import datetime cam be safely removed. I had it imported for a different application I was working on.

10. David J Axelrod April 19, 2017 at 11:07 am #

Woah, super cool Adrian! Another awesome article

• Adrian Rosebrock April 19, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

Thank you David!

11. Matt Sandy April 19, 2017 at 11:30 pm #

I really want to make a game controlled by facial expressions. I think it would be hilarious to get people to play it in public.

12. Sidharth Patnaik April 20, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

Just another awesome Tutorial, thanks for sharing! 🙂
    was waiting for this, the whole time.
    can you upload a tutorial based on OpenFace, please ?

• Adrian Rosebrock April 21, 2017 at 10:51 am #

Sure, I will certainly consider this for a future tutorial.

13. tony April 21, 2017 at 4:18 am #

Thanks for this tutorial , I have asked you this question and I haven’t got reply.

• Adrian Rosebrock April 21, 2017 at 10:45 am #

Hi Tony — I’m not sure what you mean by “shaky”. The facial landmark predictor included by dlib is pre-trained. You could try to train your own predictor on your own data to see if that improves your result.

• tony April 22, 2017 at 12:52 am #

Thanks , I mean the landmark points are not stable ( shaking) . How can I train new predictor for more than 68 landmarks ?

• Adrian Rosebrock April 24, 2017 at 9:48 am #

You would need to use the dlib library. This example demonstrates how to train a custom shape predictor.

14. carlos julio pardo April 28, 2017 at 5:44 pm #

Hi …how can i set up Dlib on visualstudio 2012 or other version?

• Adrian Rosebrock May 1, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

Hi Carlos — I only cover how to install dlib on Linux, macOS, and Raspbian on this blog. Setting up dlib on Windows or other Microsoft products is not covered. For that, I would suggest looking at the official dlib website.

15. Thimira Amaratunga May 5, 2017 at 3:45 am #

Thanks for another awesome tutorial.
    I noticed that you convert the image frame to grayscale before passing to the Dlib face detector. I’m assuming it was for speeding up the face detection process. Am I correct?

If we pass a color image to the Dlib face detector, would it detect faces better while being slower (i.e. detection accuracy will be high because more feature data will be available), or have the Dlib face detector designed to work better with grayscale images?

Thanks,

• Adrian Rosebrock May 8, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

It really depends on the underlying HOG + Linear SVM implementation. Dalal and Triggs (the authors of the original HOG paper) found that computing the gradient over multiple channels and taking the maximum response can increase detection accuracy. The problem is that you end up computing the gradient representation for each channel which makes the detection pipeline slower. In this case I like to explicitly convert to grayscale for speed.

16. Ivan May 7, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

Great stuff! How hard would it be to extract pose data (head pitch, yaw, & roll) from the features here? Thanks!

17. Jyotsna May 18, 2017 at 1:31 am #

I m getting error mentioned below when executing above program of real-time facial landmark detection:
    File “video_facial_landmarks.py”, line 22, in

predictor = dlib.shape_predictor(args[“shape_predictor”])

RuntimeError: Unable to open shape_predictor_68_face_landmarks.dat in ubuntu 16.04

Please help.
    Thanks in advance

• Adrian Rosebrock May 18, 2017 at 11:48 am #

Make sure you use the “Downloads” section of this guide to download the source code + facial landmark predictor file. The issue is that you do not have this .dat file.

18. Alex May 22, 2017 at 2:29 am #

Thanks a lot for your amazing work !

I wondered if you have any idea regarding what would be the best way to go in order to create a legs detection algorithm ?

Thanks for your help,
    Alex

19. Vinod Ramamoorthy May 25, 2017 at 9:49 am #

Hi Adrian – thanks for your great work – kudos 🙂

I’m stuck and I thought I’ll ask for your help.

Installed opencv and dlib successfully.
    site-packages are symliked to my virtualenv as well.

when I run (i’m working within my virtualenv at this point and the files are located within /Documents/cv)

python video_facial_landmarks.py \
    –shape-predictor shape_predictor_68_face_landmarks.dat \
    –picamera 1

throws the following error

File “/home/pi/.virtualenvs/facecam/lib/python3.4/site-packages/imutils/video/pivideostream.py”, line 2, in from picamera.array import PiRGBArray
    ImportError: No module named ‘picamera’

• Vinod Ramamoorthy May 25, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Update – figured out the problem here –

forgot this~
      pip install “picamera[array]”

but have another problem at hand~

(Frame:1158): Gtk-warning **:cannot open display:

• Vinod Ramamoorthy May 25, 2017 at 10:10 am #

update – was running the script from CLI

Once I rebooted the system with pixel GUI enabled – it worked 🙂

• Adrian Rosebrock May 28, 2017 at 1:23 am #

Congrats on resolving the issue Vinod 🙂

20. Wenliangh Wang May 30, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

I referred your above article, it works perfectly fine on my face image as well.

I wanted to use this facial landmark detected image and match with it my other image which I have placed in train folder (Face Recognition)

How can I effectively match these landmark features between two images?. I tried your existing LBP recognition code (Local Binary Patterns with Python & OpenCV) but the results are poor.

Do you have any opencv code which can effectively recognize images based on facial landmarks?

I would be very grateful if you could help me in this regard and if I could successfully complete this assignment, I will surely enroll myself for pyimagesearch gurus.

Regards
    Wenliangh Wang

• Adrian Rosebrock May 31, 2017 at 1:10 pm #

Facial landmarks are not used for face recognition. Instead, you would use algorithms such as Eigenfaces and LBPs for face recognition. These face recognition algorithms are covered inside the PyImageSearch Gurus course.

21. leminhson June 5, 2017 at 1:13 am #

Can we use this for detection of hand landmarks ?

• Adrian Rosebrock June 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm #

You would need to train a custom landmark predictor for hand landmarks, but yes, it is possible.

22. Rebecca June 14, 2017 at 4:24 pm #

Hi, I’m trying to run the program on mac, but it is giving me an illegal instruction: 4 error. I’m not accustomed to mac and I don’t know if there’s a way to fix this. Thanks!

23. DJ June 21, 2017 at 8:00 pm #

Hello Adrian

I would like to ask on where to place the “shape_predictor_68_face_landmarks.DAT” file because upon running the “video_facial_landmarks.py” file im getting the error of

usage: video_facial_landmarks.py [-h] -p SHAPE_PREDICTOR [-r PICAMERA]
    video_facial_landmarks.py: error: argument -p/–shape-predictor is required

• Adrian Rosebrock June 22, 2017 at 9:27 am #

You can place the .dat file anywhere you like on your machine. You need to specify the path to it via command line arguments. I would suggest you read up on command line arguments and how they work before proceeding.

1. Eye blink detection with OpenCV, Python, and dlib - PyImageSearch - April 24, 2017

[…] last week’s blog post, I demonstrated how to perform facial landmark detection in real-time in video […]