Charizard Explains How To Describe and Quantify an Image Using Feature Vectors

If you haven’t noticed, the term “feature vector” is used quite often in this blog. And while we’ve seen it a lot, I wanted to dedicate an entire post to defining what exactly a feature vector is.

What is an Image Feature Vector?

Image Feature Vector: An abstraction of an image used to characterize and numerically quantify the contents of an image. Normally real, integer, or binary valued. Simply put, a feature vector is a list of numbers used to represent an image.

As you know, the first step of building any image search engine is to define what type of image descriptor you are going to use. Are you trying to characterize the color of an image and extracting color features? The texture? Or the shape of an object in an image?

Once you have selected an image descriptor, you need to apply your image descriptor to an image. This image descriptor handles the logic necessary to quantify an image and represent it as a list of numbers.

The output of your image descriptor is a feature vector: the list of numbers used to characterize your image. Make sense?

Two Questions to Ask Yourself

Here is a general template you can follow when defining your image descriptors and expected output. This template will help ensure you always know what you are describing as well as what the output of your descriptor represents. In order to apply this template, you simply need to ask yourself two questions:

1. What image descriptor am I using?
  2. What is the expected output of my image descriptor?

Let’s make this explanation a little more concrete and go through some examples.

If you’re a frequent reader of this blog, you know that I have an obsession with both Jurassic Park and Lord of the Rings. Let’s introduce my third obsession: Pokemon. Below is our example image that we will use throughout this blog post — a Charizard.

Figure 1: Our example image - a Charizard.

Figure 1: Our example image – a Charizard.

Now, fire up a Python shell and follow along:

Here we are just importing cv2, our Python package that interfaces with OpenCV. We then load our Charizard image off of disk and examine the dimensions of the image.

Looking at the dimensions of the image we see that it has a height of 198 pixels, a width of 254 pixels, and 3 channels — one for each of the Red, Green, and Blue channels, respectively.

Raw Pixel Feature Vectors

Arguably, the the most basic color feature vector you can use is the raw pixel intensities themselves. While we don’t normally use this representation in image search engines, it is sometimes used in machine learning and classification contexts, and is worth mentioning.

Let’s ask ourselves the two questions mentioned in the template above:

1. What image descriptor am I using? I am using a raw pixel descriptor.
  2. What is the excepted output of my descriptor? A list of numbers corresponding to the raw RGB pixel intensities of my image.

Since an image is represented as NumPy array, it’s quite simple to compute the raw pixel representation of an image:

We can now see that our image has been “flattened” via NumPy’s flatten method. The Red, Green, and Blue components of the image have been flattened into a single list (rather than a multi-dimensional array) to represent the image. Our flattened array has a shape of 150,876 because there exists 198 x 254 = 50,292 pixels in the image with 3 values per pixel, thus 50,292 x 3 = 150,876.

Color Mean

Our previous example wasn’t very interesting.

What if we wanted to quantify the color of our Charizard, without having to use the entire image of raw pixel intensities?

A simple method to quantify the color of an image is to compute the mean of each of the color channels.

Again, let’s fill out our template:

1. What image descriptor am I using? A color mean descriptor.
  2. What is the expected output of my image descriptor? The mean value of each channel of the image.

And now let’s look at the code:

We can compute the mean of each of the color channels by using the cv2.mean method. This method returns a tuple with four values, our color features. The first value is the mean of the blue channel, the second value the mean of the green channel, and the third value is the mean of red channel. Remember, OpenCV stores RGB images as a NumPy array, but in reverse order. We actually read them backwards in BGR order, hence the blue value comes first, then the green, and finally the red.

The fourth value can be ignored and exists only so that OpenCV’s built-in Scalar class can be used internally. This value can be ignored as such:

Now we can see that the output of our image descriptor (the cv2.mean function) is a feature vector with a list of three numbers: the means of the blue, green, and red channels, respectively.

Color Mean and Standard Deviation

Let’s compute both the mean and standard deviation of each channel as well.

Again, here is our template:

1. What image descriptor am I using? A color mean and standard deviation descriptor.
  2. What is the expected output of my image descriptor? The mean and standard deviation of each channel of the image.

And now the code:

In order to grab both the mean and standard deviation of each channel, we use the cv2.meanStdDev function, which not surprisingly, returns a tuple — one for the means and one for the standard deviations, respectively. Again, this list of numbers serves as our color features.

Let’s combine the means and standard deviations into a single color feature vector:

Now our feature vector stats has six entries rather than three. We are now representing the mean of each channel as well as the standard deviation of each channel in the image.

Color Histograms

Going back to the Clever Girl: A Guide to Utilizing Color Histograms for Computer Vision and Image Search Engines and Hobbits and Histograms, we could also use a 3D color histogram to describe our Charizard.

1. What image descriptor am I using? A 3D color histogram.
  2. What is the expected output of my image descriptor? A list of numbers used to characterize the color distribution of the image.

Here we have a 3D histogram with 8 bins per channel. Let’s examine the shape of our histogram:

Our histogram has a shape of (8, 8, 8). How can we use this as a feature vector if it’s multi-dimensional?

We simply flatten it:

By defining our image descriptor as a 3D color histogram we can extract a list of numbers (i.e. our feature vector) to represent the distribution of colors in the image.

Summary

In this blog post we have provided a formal definition for an image feature vector. A feature vector is an abstraction of the image itself and at the most basic level, is simply a list of numbers used to represent the image. We have also reviewed some examples on how to extract color features.

The first step of building any image search engine is to define your image descriptor. Once we have defined our image descriptor we can apply our descriptor to an image. The output of the image descriptor is our feature vector.

We then defined a two step template that you can use when defining your image descriptor. You simply need to ask yourself two questions:

1. What image descriptor am I using?
  2. What is the expected output of my image descriptor?

The first question defines what aspect of the image you are describing, whether it’s color, shape, or texture. And the second question defines what the output of the descriptor is going to be after it has been applied to the image.

Using this template you can ensure you always know what you are describing and how you are describing it.

Finally, we provided three examples of simple image descriptors and feature vectors to make our discussion more concrete.

, , , , , ,

27 Responses to Charizard Explains How To Describe and Quantify an Image Using Feature Vectors

1. Tomasz Malisiewicz March 4, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

What you describe (color histogram or global mean RGB) is referred to as an “image descriptor” in my social circles while “feature descriptor” is reserved for a descriptor centered around a local image point. The word “feature” is actually all over the place, but most CV researchers I know think of SIFT as the best example of a “feature descriptor” or just “descriptor” and GIST as the best example of “image descriptor.”

“Feature vector” or just “feature” is loosely anything that comes out of some data processing and will be used as input to a machine learning algorithm. I’m pretty sure the experts (like us) just throw around these words loosely, but a novice might be intimidated by our vocabulary.

In addition to going through your tutorials, people seriously interested in computer vision need to make computer vision friends (or go to graduate school) and regularly talk about these things over coffee.

Keep the tutorials coming!

–Tomasz

• Adrian Rosebrock March 5, 2014 at 7:01 am #

Hi Tomasz, thanks for commenting. You bring up a really good point. There certainly is a difference in terminology between an “image descriptor”, “descriptor”, and “feature vector”.

I remember back when I was an undergrad taking my first machine learning course. I kept hearing the term “feature vector” and as you suggested, it was a bit intimidating. In all reality, it’s just a list of numbers used to abstract and quantify an object. That was the point I was trying to get across in this post — trying to make a concept that can be complex, boiled down to a simple example.

Perhaps one of my next blog posts should disambiguate between the terms and (hopefully) provide a little more clarity. I can definitely see how all these similar terms can cause some confusion.

• Tatsiana Puchyla October 15, 2017 at 3:18 pm #

Hello!

Can anybody tell me what should I do to create GIST image descriptor on python? Thank you!

• Adrian Rosebrock October 16, 2017 at 12:23 pm #

It’s actually implemented for you in this package.

2. ngapweitham July 8, 2015 at 6:08 am #

I am a bit confusing about the meaning of the terms, following are my understanding

image descriptor == data get from the whole image
    feature descriptor == data get from the local point of an image(a small region)
    descriptor == feature descriptor
    feature vector == a bunch of data which could feed to the machine learning algo

sometimes feature descriptor == feature vector because they could feed to the machine learning algo and extract from the local point of an image

please correct me if I get them wrong

• Adrian Rosebrock July 8, 2015 at 6:13 am #

Indeed, the terminology can get a bit confusing at times, especially since the terms can be used interchangeably and the only way to figure out which-is-which is via context! However, it looks like you understand it quite well. An image descriptor is applied globally and extracts a single feature vector. Feature descriptors on the other hand describe local, small regions of an image. You’ll get multiple feature vectors from an image with feature descriptors. A feature vector is a list of numbers used to abstractly quantify and represent the image. Feature vectors can be used for machine learning, building an image search engine, etc.

3. ManuelaP July 1, 2016 at 12:41 pm #

There are something that I don’t understand if the different extracted features are not the same size, like a monodimensional feature and a vector feature, how could I merge this features on a vector to do after a selection feature? Because if the features have not the same size, my method to do the features ranking is not able to know it. Do you understand my question??

• Adrian Rosebrock July 1, 2016 at 2:53 pm #

If your feature vectors are not the same dimensionality, then in general, it doesn’t make much sense to compare them. If you perform feature selection, you’ll want to select the same features (i.e., columns) from every feature vector in your dataset.

4. tota August 17, 2016 at 6:42 am #

i apply GLCM texture feature, the output is matrix, is this feature vector?

5. Ankit December 23, 2016 at 6:32 am #

If I am taking a gray-scale multiple images and using them to form a feature vector of pixels gray-level values. Value of pixel will range from 0-255. Each pixel will have different value depending on the image. For example, pixel at 0th position will have value 255 in one image, 128 in another, 3 in another, and so on. We will have an intensity distribution for each pixel from multiple images rather than a single value. Then, how can I decide which pixel values to use for feature vectors?

Thank you for your time.

• Adrian Rosebrock December 23, 2016 at 10:49 am #

Hey Ankit — I’m not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds like you need to construct a look-up table for each pixel value to determine it’s proper value. If you can explain a little bit more about what your end goal is, and why you’re doing this, it would be helpful.

• Ankit January 2, 2017 at 11:36 am #

Thank you for replying. I have to detect pedestrian in a gray-scale image. For the feature selection part, I’m taking all the grey pixel values in an image as a feature vector. From the training data set for pedestrian and non-pedestrian, I find the intensity distribution for all the pixel in an image. Using this information, I calculate mean vector and co-variance matrix for pedestrian and non-pedestrian class. My end goal is to classify pedestrian using the above information. The part where I’m confused is how can you build a co-variance matrix if each pixel is a intensity distribution rather than a single value? Do you think my approach is right?

• Adrian Rosebrock January 4, 2017 at 11:01 am #

For pedestrian detection you typically wouldn’t use the grayscale pixels values. It would be better to extract features from the image, normally Histogram of Oriented Gradients and then train a pedestrian detector on these features.

6. Joe April 25, 2017 at 6:51 am #

Very good article, thank you for writing these posts. In a project I am doing right now I try to detect the material of objects. Basically, the program has to detect if the object has a copper coating or is made out of some brass-like material. I am using 3D histograms like mentioned in your tutorial right now, and compare them to histograms of sample images I have saved previously using cv2.compareHist with cv2.HISTCMP_CORREL. Unfortunately, this seems to give quite unreliable results with changing lighting conditions in the image. Is there a better approach I should be using here? I was looking into kNN-Classification and SVMs, but these methods seem a bit complicated for this (I assume) rather simple task.

• Adrian Rosebrock April 28, 2017 at 9:57 am #

If you’re trying to detect the texture of an object, I think Local Binary Patterns plus an SVM would work well.

7. Reshma Bhat June 19, 2017 at 6:34 am #

Very good article! I’m working on classifying normal/hemorrhagic brain trauma from CT. Tried GLCM computation based feature extraction on 8-bit grayscale CT image. For a sample of 10 datasets too, it doesn’t show any much variation to classify. Is the approach fine? or any other method would work well?

• Adrian Rosebrock June 20, 2017 at 11:00 am #

Hi Reshma — I have not worked with brain trauma CT images before. Perhaps you have some example images of what you’re working with and what you hope to classify?

8. Lench August 17, 2017 at 9:27 am #

Hey, Adrian, the problem I’m having now is, from one picture, extract the characters I need. Character arrangement is irregular, and there are many other characters, and interference information. I tried to extract LBP and hog features, but there were still some characters missing and extracted to a character that was not what I needed. How can I completely extract the characters I need,

• Adrian Rosebrock August 17, 2017 at 9:29 am #

Hey Lench — character detection is really dependent on your dataset. I’ve covered a number of tutorials on how to detect characters using morphological operations. I would suggest starting here. Other than that, it’s tough to provide any suggestions without seeing the particular images you’re working with.

• Lench August 17, 2017 at 10:26 am #

Hey, Adrian, I saw a tutorial that uses morphological operations to detect characters. But my picture background is more complex, and the interference information is more. The spacing of characters is not the same (each picture is the target character), the arrangement is also kind, how do I deal with it.

• Adrian Rosebrock August 17, 2017 at 10:31 am #

You might need to try more advanced techniques, such as deep learning. When it comes to complex character detection and recognition I’ve seen LSTMs used with a lot of success.

• Lench August 17, 2017 at 10:34 am #

Thank you very much for your patience.Adrian

9. Esraa November 23, 2017 at 1:05 pm #

Hi, first of all thanks alot for your amazing efforts!
    I have a question please, I need to calculate the standard deviation for certain pixel location using python.

The matrix is the probability map
    Those certain pixel, are the max. 10 probabilities in the probability map

I don’t know where I can start from, little bit confusing

Thanks alot in advance

• Adrian Rosebrock November 25, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

First, you would take the probabilities and indexes of the map. Sort the probabilities and indexes jointly, in descending order, with larger probabilities at the front of the list. Take those indexes, which are your (x, y)-coordinates, and extract the pixel values from the image. And then compute the standard deviation.