2nd edition + Hardcopies of Practical Python and OpenCV now online!

ppao_2nd_edition_page

The 2nd edition of Practical Python and OpenCV + Case Studies is officially online!

This 2nd edition is a MAJOR UPDATE to the book and includes:

Hardcopy editions.

Figure 1: Hardcopy editions of Practical Python and OpenCV + Case Studies are now available!

I’ve wanted to offer Practical Python and OpenCV in print ever since I wrote the book a year ago, but I struggled to find to publisher — that’s all changed now, the hardcopy editions are ready to go and available for purchase right now!

Full compatibility with OpenCV 3 and Python 3.

Over the past few months, I have been hard at work updating all source code and explanations in Practical Python and OpenCV + Case Studies to ensure full compatibility with both the newly released OpenCV 3.0 library and the Python 3 programming language. Now you’ll be able to learn the differences between OpenCV 2.4 and OpenCV 3 — and use the Python 3 as well!

Raspberry Pi Support.

Figure 2: All code examples in the 2nd edition of Practical Python and OpenCV + Case Studies run on the Raspberry Pi out-of-the-box.

Own a Raspberry Pi and want to use it to detect faces in video streams? Track objects in video? Or recognize handwriting? No problem! The new source code downloads for all chapters in Practical Python and OpenCV + Case Studies will work on the Raspberry Pi out of the box, no modifications required.

Video tutorials.

Figure 3: Imagine having me at your side, helping you learn computer vision and OpenCV — that's exactly what it's like when you work through my 16 video tutorials covering 4+ hours of lessons.

Figure 3: Imagine having me at your side, helping you learn computer vision and OpenCV — that’s exactly what it’s like when you work through my 16 video tutorials covering 4+ hours of lessons.

Come code alongside me — I’ve recorded 16 video tutorials covering over 4+ hours of content from Practical Python and OpenCV. These videos are a fantastic asset to help you learn OpenCV and computer vision.

An updated virtual machine.

Figure 4: The 2nd edition Ubuntu VirtualBox virtual machine has been re-engineered from the ground-up to support both Python 2.7 and Python 3+ with OpenCV bindings.

One of my favorite features of the 2nd edition of the book is the brand new, freshly rebuilt Ubuntu VirtualBox virtual machine. This VM has been re-engineered from the ground up and includes installations of both Python 2.7 and Python 3 with OpenCV 3!

Grab your copy.

Ready to pickup your own copy 2nd edition copy of Practical Python and OpenCV + Case Studies?

Just click here to learn more and grab your copy.

, , ,

16 Responses to 2nd edition + Hardcopies of Practical Python and OpenCV now online!

1. David Kadouch November 2, 2015 at 9:31 am #

Hi Adrian

Your tutorial are truly amazing. It saves me tons of time. I own the 2014 edition of your book and I’m just getting started so I’d like to use the latest version. Is there an upgrade available?

thanks a bunch
    David

• Adrian Rosebrock November 3, 2015 at 10:06 am #

Hey David — Please send me an email. I sent out the 2nd edition updates back in August.

2. Mike Bess January 11, 2016 at 3:15 pm #

Hey Adrian, I seemed to have missed the Practical Python and OpenCV update to 2nd edition. I bought the basic pack in July. Would it be possible to get a download link?

• Adrian Rosebrock January 12, 2016 at 6:34 am #

Send me an email with the email address you used to purchase a copy and I can check for you.

3. Pankaj December 11, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

Hey Adrian, can u cover fire detection using image processing

• Adrian Rosebrock December 12, 2016 at 10:32 am #

I do not cover fire direction in my books, but there are a number of members researching fire direction inside the PyImageSearch Gurus course.

4. Manikandan January 2, 2017 at 4:41 am #

HI, im newbie to opencv and image processing read out your sample chapter it was amazing, is it there any possible to get either eBook or hard copy of book…? I’ll pay for that thx and your rocking

• Adrian Rosebrock January 4, 2017 at 11:02 am #

If you would like to purchase an eBook or hardcopy edition of Practical Python and OpenCV, please see this page. Note that the “Hardcopy Bundle” is the only bundle that includes the hardcopy edition of the book — all bundles include the eBook.

5. Al February 26, 2017 at 4:18 am #

Hi Sir Adrian, I am an engineering student and I we have a research. In this research we are identifying and labeling cow using image recognition. Is it possible to do that? Even if the cow have same color? Is it possible that the algorithm we use to identify is base to the size of the cow. we are putting a camera at the top of the ceiling of the barn to get a top view of the cow. We badly need an opinion from an expert, thank you in advance and God Bless! 🙂

• Adrian Rosebrock February 27, 2017 at 11:13 am #

If your goal is to detect and recognize cows in images I would suggest applying object detection. A good start would be HOG + Linear SVM. I cover how to implement the method inside the PyImageSearch Gurus course.

• Jose September 11, 2017 at 5:11 am #

Hi, I found your method very interesting. Besides recognizing objects, like cows, is it even possible to count them? (not labeling)

Regards! 🙂

• Adrian Rosebrock September 11, 2017 at 9:03 am #

Detection is a form of counting. If you can detect the (x, y)-coordinates of an object in an image you can keep track of each object and therefore count them.

6. Rodney July 25, 2017 at 4:30 am #

Sir l am motivated by your work.wanted to do security project based on Motion Detection Project on my final year project.My question Sir is it possible to detect different motions at different speeds.

• Adrian Rosebrock July 28, 2017 at 10:08 am #

Hi Rodney — can you elaborate on what you mean by “different motions at different speeds”? I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

7. James November 18, 2018 at 11:37 am #

Hi Adrian! Thanks for the great blog posts! On the link in this page to the bundles the books are in (https://www.pyimagesearch.com/practical-python-opencv/), only the 1st edition hard-copy books are mentioned.
    Is it possible to get a 2nd (or more recent) edition hard copy print of the book?

• Adrian Rosebrock November 19, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

Hey James — where do you see that the 1st edition hardcopies are mentioned? We’re actually on the 3rd edition now which is the version I’m currently printing and shipping.