Sneak Preview: Raspberry Pi for Computer Vision

The Kickstarter launch date of Wednesday, April 10th is approaching so fast!

I still have a ton of work left to do and I’m currently neck-deep in Kickstarter campaign logistics, but I took a few minutes and recorded this sneak preview of Raspberry Pi for Computer Vision just for you:

The video is fairly short, clocking in at 5m56s, and it’s absolutely worth the watch, but if you don’t have enough time to watch it, you can read the gist below:

• 0m06s: I show an example of building a CV + IoT wildlife camera. We’ll be covering the exact implementation inside the book.
  • 0m29s: I discuss the Raspberry Pi, it’s compatibility with cameras + computer vision libraries, and how we can use the Pi for computer vision.
  • 0m45: Can we write software that understand and take action based on what the Pi “sees”? Absolutely, yes! And I’ll show you how through face recognition, footfall/traffic counter applications, gesture recognition, deep learning on the Pi, and much more!
  • 1m01s: Regardless of whether you’re an experienced computer vision and deep learning practitioner or you’re brand new to the world of computer vision and image processing, this book will help you build practical, real-world computer vision applications on the Raspberry Pi.
  • 1m16s: I provide a high level overview of the topics that will be covered inside the RPi + CV book.
  • 1m45s: Since this book covers such a large, diverse amount of content, I’ve decided to break the book down into three volumes, called “bundles”. You’ll be able to choose a bundle based on how in-depth you want to study CV and DL on the Pi, which projects/chapters interest you the most, along with your particular budget.
  • 2m50s: I’m a strong believer of learning by doing. You’ll roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty in code, and build actual, real-world projects.
  • 3m03s: Demos of IoT wildlife monitoring, detecting tired drivers behind the wheel, pan and tilt object tracking, and IoT traffic/footfall counting.
  • 3m41s: More demos, including hand gesture recognition, vehicle detection and recognition, vehicle speed detection, multiple Pis and deep learning, self-driving car applications, Movidius NCS and OpenVINO, face recognition security camera, smart classroom attendance system.
  • The Kickstarter campaign will be going live on Wednesday, April 10th at 10AM EDT— I hope to see you on the Kickstarter backer list!

Like I said, if you have the time, the sneak preview video is definitely worth the watch.

I hope that you decide to support the Raspberry Pi for Computer Vision Kickstarter campaign on Wednesday, April 10th at 10AM EDT — if you’re ready to bring CV and DL to embedded/IoT devices, then this is the perfect book for you!

To be notified when more Kickstarter announcements go live, be sure to signup for the RPi for CV Kickstarter notification list!

10 Responses to Sneak Preview: Raspberry Pi for Computer Vision

1. Chuck Wegrzyn April 4, 2019 at 10:48 am #

Any chance you could include a section on using the Google Dev Board?

BTW, love your stuff and can’t wait to see the latest Kickstarter…

• Adrian Rosebrock April 4, 2019 at 11:42 am #

With 99% certainly you’ll see Google’s Coral and NVIDIA Jetson Nano in there. I’ll be announcing that after the Kickstarter officially launches.

• BG April 5, 2019 at 2:53 am #

How about more resource constrained devices like ARM mbed family with uTensor etc?

or any other popular microcontroller based IoT platforms like ESP32 for instance?

• Joe Jansen August 28, 2019 at 6:23 pm #

I’m interested in this space as well, some ARM devices ship with MALI GPU’s, which probably won’t work with Tensorflow (CUDA only I believe).

2. Ian Stubbs April 4, 2019 at 4:57 pm #

Can’t wait to get my hands on this.

• Adrian Rosebrock April 5, 2019 at 5:31 am #

Thanks Ian, it will definitely be worth it 🙂

3. Vlad April 5, 2019 at 3:51 am #

It’s great, I’ve been following your blog for a long time, and got a lot of useful information that I used to implement my projects on Jeston TX2 and RPi3. Looking forward to your kickstarter!

• Adrian Rosebrock April 5, 2019 at 5:30 am #

Thanks Vlad 🙂

4. joe April 6, 2019 at 11:43 am #

I’m really not sure how kickstarter works.
    But does that mean when can purchase the packages starting the 10th?
    How much will they be?
    I love your stuff.

• Adrian Rosebrock April 7, 2019 at 6:12 am #

Think of Kickstarter as like a pre-order. You pre-order at a specific price. The creator receives that money and uses the money to finish up the project. Then you receive the completed project.

The benefit for you is that you receive a significant discount. The benefit to the creator is they receive the funds necessary to finish the project.

I’ll be sharing details on pricing on Monday so make sure you keep an eye on your inbox!

Before you leave a comment...

Hey, Adrian here, author of the PyImageSearch blog. I'd love to hear from you, but before you submit a comment, please follow these guidelines:

1. If you have a question, read the comments first. You should also search this page (i.e., ctrl + f) for keywords related to your question. It's likely that I have already addressed your question in the comments.
  2. If you are copying and pasting code/terminal output, please don't. Reviewing another programmers’ code is a very time consuming and tedious task, and due to the volume of emails and contact requests I receive, I simply cannot do it.
  3. Be respectful of the space. I put a lot of my own personal time into creating these free weekly tutorials. On average, each tutorial takes me 15-20 hours to put together. I love offering these guides to you and I take pride in the content I create. Therefore, I will not approve comments that include large code blocks/terminal output as it destroys the formatting of the page. Kindly be respectful of this space.
  4. Be patient. I receive 200+ comments and emails per day. Due to spam, and my desire to personally answer as many questions as I can, I hand moderate all new comments (typically once per week). I try to answer as many questions as I can, but I'm only one person. Please don't be offended if I cannot get to your question
  5. Do you need priority support? Consider purchasing one of my books and courses. I place customer questions and emails in a separate, special priority queue and answer them first. If you are a customer of mine you will receive a guaranteed response from me. If there's any time left over, I focus on the community at large and attempt to answer as many of those questions as I possibly can.

Thank you for keeping these guidelines in mind before submitting your comment.